Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Vektor - Black Future



Vektor - Black Future
Full-Length, Heavy Artillery Records
November 2009


Throwback, retro, old-school metal. Admittedly, I loathe these kinds of bands and the entire concept (usually). The idea of a band doing something completely unoriginal and rehashed makes me frustrated, not only as a listener, but also as a fellow artist. Granted there is nothing wrong with enjoying the glory of the past flames, usually it is impossible to recapture that 'old-school' magnificence...Getting this promo in the mail, I cannot honestly say I was expecting a whole lot. The band logo and artwork screamed 'retro'. The band logo looking far too similar to the Voivod logo, I feared for the worst.

This album was a lesson in never judging a book (or album) by its cover. I put the disc in and literally had my head blown off and my ass handed to me. Vektor dealt me a blow I was certainly not expecting, but welcomed with open arms. 'Black Future' is stylistically all over the place, the band runs through thrash, progressive, black(ish) and death(ish) moments. Extremely intense, furious, complex and melodic, Vektor tear through this 70 minute opus with no stone left unturned. This is no throwback band, this is a band that embraces its forefathers and blazes forward with feverish ambition. Sounding like a chaotic mix of Voivod, Athiest and later-era Death - with the vocals sounding eerily like Ihsahn at times - Vektor is truly making a name for themselves and a respectable one at that.

The musicianship on this album is amazing by all accounts. Complicated song structures and dissonant melodies are found on nearly every track. Superb drumming, fluid bass playing, shredding guitar riffs/solos and passionately howled vocals make Vektor stand out from the pack. This album is a headbangers dream...It is probably a good idea to do some neck stretches before listening to 'Black Future' because I found myself rocking out for the entire duration of the album. Stunning.

Kudos to Vektor and Heavy Artillery for really giving me something unexpected. I can honestly say I am very impressed with this album and will surely be following this band for as long as they keep up this kind of brilliance. For fans of unique and original METAL, do yourself many favors and pick up 'Black Future'. I can assure you that disappointment is not something you will find here. Its always great to have cynicism turned on its ear and to be rewarded with a true musical gem such as this. 'Black Future' made my day.

Rating : 9/10

Reviewed by E.

No comments:

Post a Comment