Friday, April 2, 2010

KATATONIA - "NIGHT IS THE NEW DAY" Review


KATATONIA - "NIGHT IS THE NEW DAY"
Full-length, Peaceville Records, November 2nd, 2009

This album blew me away! Wow! I never thought I'd say "I LOVE KATATONIA", but I do now... they were just a band I could never seem to get into before, but this album really changed my mind, it's beautifully dark and I highly recommend this album to any fan of OPETH, IHSAHN, EMPEROR, SWALLOW THE SUN, DIABOLICAL MASQUERADE and perhaps even elements of PORCUPINE TREE can be heard in some parts, actually, fans of newer SHINING might even enjoy this album as well! (When I last spoke to Kvarforth, I asked him what he'd been listening to lately and if I remember correctly, i think he said quite a bit of KATATONIA.) I can't stop listening to it, over and over again! Tremendous stuff, and the most shocking thing is I NEVER liked KATATONIA before !!!

I love SWALLOW THE SUN as well and I definitely see similar elements in the music on this album and the music of SWALLOW THE SUN, very complementary bands for a live gig for sure! A lot of it reminds me of Mikael Akerfeldt's clean vocals in OPETH as well, and as a huge fan of IHSAHN's solo work, perhaps I have him to thank for opening my mind up to this style of music more... along with my continued fascination for SWALLOW THE SUN. I think even DEVIN TOWNSEND fans will find something to revell in here as well!

Great band, great album... and again, I never ever though I'd ever say that! Thoroughly enjoyable, darkly beautiful music with terrific clean vocals... Jonas Renkse has a truly affecting voice! You should feel the hair on the back of your neck standing up listening to this album, every song is tremendous. Some might say depressing, others will agree with me and say it's beautiful... lush production and guitar work that accentuates the vocals in every sense of the word, even the drumming enhances the mood of the music. It could be THEE most vocally centered KATATONIA album yet infact! Listen and enjoy!

Reviewed by Damien Bentley  -  10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment