Thursday, November 4, 2010

TORTURE DIVISION – “Evighetens Dårar” Review



Compilation, Abyss Records
October 12, 2010

Here we have another Swedish death metal band. Note that Evighetens Dårar is a compilation of the bands previous three demo releases of the same name. I’ll be honest, my first listen I felt this was rather run of the mill for modern death metal. However, after a few more listens it grew on me a bit. I mean, you have 3 members of The Project Hate MCMXCIX thrashing out in this death metal trio and the infamous Dan Swanö producing this release, so it has to come with its merits. I can just be a little fussy about today’s death metal, as I tend to be more fond of the earlier styles of the late 80s and early 90s, but after getting over that, I must say this is a solid release.

Reminding me heavily of fellow Swedes Bloodbath and Hypocrisy, this is a very straightforward and brutal DM incarnation equipped with blast beats and neck snapping riffs throughout. In fact because of this, more mid-tempo tracks such as “Eld och Plagor” seem to be more memorable because of their uniqueness compared to the rest of the CD, due to more melodic sections (and by that I don’t mean pop-hook melodies you see in melodeath).

I would like to try and make a longer review of this compilation, but with it all being done before there really isn’t much to cover. It grew on me yes, but every track seems like it could be any old song from as I said Hypocrisy or Bloodbath. This is not a bad release, and I would recommend it for fans of Swedish Death Metal, but I expected much more from the members of this act.

(6.5/10)
Reviewed by; Matt Coughlin

No comments:

Post a Comment