Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Ava Inferi Interview 1-10












1.Blood of Bacchus has been out now since may.What has the response been to it thus far?


R: The response has been really good actually. Weve reached really good scores in most magazines and I sense we managed to elevate the band to a different level with this release. I believe people out there have realized over time that we cannot be put in any specific genre or box either, as in my opinion we have too many influences to be judged by those conditions. Then again I believe we have found our niche with these somewhat peculiar hybrids, and that some of the interest seems to be growing based on this. I believe its this aspect that becomes more and more audible for people out there as well, and in light of that statement Id say "Blood Of Bacchus" was an important release for us. Not only to demostrate our versatility but also showcasing the real will to do our own thing.


2.In my humble opinion it is definately the bands strongest release thus far.What is the central theme to the record?Who writes the lyrics?


R: Yeah, I agree its our strongest release to date, and at the same time Id like to draw the parallells to good wine here; maturing over age, hehe. Resting assured there is greater things to come.
The central theme in this album is basically freedom, in an esoteric sense of the word. The phase this album was written was a peculiar one for me due to all the circumstances with me leaving Mayhem etc, so I definitely believe all this "transformation" contributed to the outcome of the album. In that sense this album became a threshold for me, as leaving a part of my life behind and opening new doors with new paths to discover. All this wrapped in the theories of Bacchus, with the laughter and the downfalls of life close to heart. Perhaps I should mention as well that its all free creativity unfolded with the basic joy of playing music.
Lyrically it holds ups and downs that occurs in waking life, just on a more spiritual level. Albeit dressed in more poemlike ways, it basically describes harsh encounters for the concious mind, alongside a dash of withcraft Id say. Deep poetry with a backbone in the fact that there are more to things than what initially meets the eye.



3.The band has been quite prolific since it's inception,almost an album a year since 2006.Was this a case of trying to get the name out there,or just alot inspiration happening over a short period of time?




R: A bit of both perhaps, but mostly due to inspiration. I am an artist and a composer and this is what I do. When I have 8-10 Ava Inferi songs done, I simply go to the studio and record them you know. Thinking back, I´ve probably been a tad impatient as well, rushing things too fast etc, which further has made some marks on the earlier albums. Nevertheless, I believe in myself and my ability to create so id say Ava Inferi´s fundament is contructed with these things. This band is my cloak of will, experience and free creativity.


                             








4.The new album sounds huge.I think the production does it justice.What exactly were you going for with this album compared to the last 2.What did you feel needed to improve in with this release compared to THE SILHOUETTE?



R: Basically, I wanted to improve everything regarding the plain musical and productional aspects. However, I do feel that there is a strong nerve also in The Silhouette, and possibly that album is just as strong as Blood Of Bacchus in its own way, but due to some issues with the sound etc I feel the magic only reveals itself through thourough and patient listens. And perhaps a bit of creativity, hehe.
Its a very deep and cathartic album right there, and if we had the chance to re-master it e.g I think more people would find something very special in that one.
However, in terms of actual musicianship i believe we stepped up several steps with Blood Of Bacchus. Especially in terms of compositions, which I feel is very important in music. Actually, thats one thing I dont like with most metal oriented bands, its the lack of actual compositional writing. Perhaps especially in the more extreme fields of metal, where one dumps in riff after riff without (imo) coherence. This is one thing that Ive dedicated my arts to, in creating a flow. I believe that is important for the otherwordly experience of music...finding the keys that opens.




5.Carmen has such a beautiful voice and displays a great many ranges on the album.Do you ever feel restrained when composing the music.Was it your intention from the beginning to work with a female vocalist?What do you feel she brings to the band?



R: I dont feel restrained at all. I simply write what I have to write and then Carmen, with my help occasionally, comes up with the vocal lines. You know, Ava Inferi is in its core the symbiose of Carmen and myself, due to the lyricist, vocalist and guitarist, composer situation. The true marriage between Heaven(Ava, Carmen) and Hell( Inferi, me..), hehe.
Without any of us, there wouldnt be Ava Inferi, its as simple as that.




6.How does the songwriting process usually work with the band?Is there a dominant songwriter or is it a band effort?






R: Well, its somewhat changing a bit. The Silhouette was written by me in its entirety, here in front of my computer. Then we went on to rehearse the songs and develop the issues or the small flaws the songs had. Let it be mentioned that I believe in finishing the songs as a band, so everyone can develop their own thing into it, and therefore be less static, more alive, if you get my point. Blood Of Bacchus was written mostly in the rehearsal place. However, I had created all the fundaments before we started to rehearse. Perhaps 50 percent of each song was done when we started rehearsing. But due to the incomplete songs we tried out 100 different ideas and models for each song before settling with what eventually became to album. So in this sense, it was a more joint effort. On the next album I go a bit back again, in terms of writing that is. All the songs are done here in my apartment, and Im currently sending out files for the guys to listen whats next for the band. I am very confident though, and as of now we have 6-7 totally done, while waiting for the final 2 or so..In February the heavy rehearsals start again, to take the songs to a higher level.


                                   








7.How much touring have you done in support of the new album.Any chance of making it over to the states?




R: We have done 1 full tour here in Europe, supporting Tiamat and The 69 Eyes. The tour was of immense importance for us, and we are very happy we got the chance to grow up as a good live band during those 3 weeks. We are as a matter of fact in talks of doing something in the states after the release of the next album, and I really believe that we could get some serious attention in the US by doing that. Hopefully we know something more specific during the upcoming spring time...

                               





8.From what i have heard from friends in europe,your live shows are very visual and at times intense.How important is the live aspect to the band.What do you want the crowd to take away from your set?

R: I believe the live aspects these days are of massive importance. Its hard enough as it is to release a new album these days you know, especially for relatively young bands as ourselves. Then it gets even more important to show what you are made of in a live situation I believe. To demonstrate the true energy in the band.
I believe that over the last year we have really stepped up in terms of tightness and stage performance, and we would love to hit another tour straight after the next album to prove further that we are a force to be reckoned with.
I know that lots of people around got surprised over the fact that we are a pretty much different "beast" in the live setting. Songs that arent typically doomy gets a new dimension of heaviness live Id say...



9.I had heard that you relocated to portugal.If not how often do you as a band get together and rehearse?



R: Yes, I now reside in Portugal, close to Lisboa, and have done so the last 5 years. Concerning rehearsals; it depends really. These days Ive been focusing on writing the new material so weve had a small break for a while so I could finish my ideas here at home. However, and as I mentioned earlier, things will step up now in February. Tons of new material to be learned and forged the best possible way before entering the studio again sometime during summer.
I also do play in Aura Noir now, so I head off to Norway once a month also, to write and rehearse with those guys. Lots of travelling these days though but I dont mind that aspect. I love travelling, even if its going to my native Norway for a week...




10.I was trying to avoid this type of question but i know you were still involved with Mayhem when you started Ava Inferi.What is it that Ava Inferi gives you that mayhem no longer could.Do you feel now like you have complete artistic freedom.You kinda went from one extreme to another.To be honest it was a bit strange hearing you playing more controlled compared to the complete chaos that is mayhem.


R: Mayhem for me represented a prison. I wanted to do things my way, and not care about influences or internal/external codes or whatever. Thats what Ava Inferi gives me. A new entity, in which I can forge and create whatever I want (within the already lined out formula, perhaps) and to be in charge of any decisions spanning from designs, philosophy to artwork, you name it. I guess its safe to say that Mayhem has a lot of extra luggage, and I guess the more you grow as a person the more difficult it is getting accustomed to, at least it was for me.
Ava Inferi means growth, and our dark light holds hope. Thats the total opposite right there.



11.What are the plans for the band in 2010?More touring maybe?A new album?


R: New album, more shows. Taking everything to a higher level.


12.What are your long term goals for this band?

R: I can easily see myself grow old in a band like this as this band represents an undying fire for me. Its the torch I hold that guides me on my way, to say it a bit corny. I hope we have many a release in front of us, and I hope that sooner than later we will have the attention I believe we have earned.

                                         








13.In brief,for someone wh has never heard you,describe your sound?


R: Elegance. Magic. Deep.



14.Well i believe that is all.Thank you Rune for your time.Any final thoughts you'd like to share?
Thank you for you interview. Watch our myspace.com/avainferi and our website: www.coven-of-avainferi.com for news in the future.

                                     Interview By Bastard Son Of God

No comments:

Post a Comment