Tuesday, March 23, 2010

NEGURA BUNGET "Maiestrit" - Review.


I know that this Romanian Black Metal Horde is quite popular. But I had never actually sat down and listened to them until now.If you want a boring back story, go check out the bands Metal Archives link and see what that says about their history.Listening to their music now, I really don't feel a need to go back and listen to their old material. Don't get me wrong, this is quite good, well played. But not my thing at all. There is a big keyboard presence. There are some faster, and up tempo parts. But for the most part these guys go slow and atmospheric. Even progressive.But unlike Deathspell Omega (who never get boring with their prog parts) these guys kind of do. There are some memorable riffs on the opener "Vremea Locului Sortit". These guys can be very dark and heavy when they want to be!
It gets down right middle period Neurosis towards the end of this song as well. The song is too long as are all of the songs on here. "În-Zvîcnirea Apusului" starts off quite good then the whistling comes in? WHAT THE FUCK? hahahahaha. OKKAAAAAAYYYY! "A-vint in abis" is up next with it's slow build up intro. This is kind of a mid paced banger. The drums are really low in the mix, now that I notice it.Once the keyboards kick in, I cringe though. Quite an epic build up.  These guys are growing on me!"Al locului" is next. After the singers impersonation of Quorthon on "Hammerheart", he starts shouting and I get confused, but then the growls come in, MUCH BETTER!There are a bit of the "epic beauty" parts thrown in here. But these guys are good at it. I think more prog rock fans would dig this than one might think. This would make great driving music during the day or even background music cooking or cleaning the house or shit like that."Plecaciunea mortii" stats out with an evil keyboard section that kicks in almost half way through the song. Very cool but drags at the same time.
"A-vint in abis (acoustic version)" comes next and is just as it said, acoustic version. "Plecaciunea mortii (acoustic version)" is another acoustic version of these songs and they end this album well. It all fits together fine. This album grew on me a little after I played it during this review. I might end just listening to it again, but who knows.
It does drag at times. But good job to these guys! Not bad at all.
This is out on Lupus Lounge/Prophecy Records.

Review By : Mike Abominator    7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment