Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Nominon interview w/Perra 11-09



1.First i just want to say the new album is eagerly awaited by these ears.From the little i have heard is sounds fucking killer.Are you pleased with the final result?

Perra: Hell yeah!! We are definitely extremely proud of what we have accomplished this time around. This is the best album from NOMINON both musically and production wise so far. Even though the atmosphere in the studio was sometimes very rough, you could almost touch the hatred, despair and bitterness at times, seriously. It was the most difficult recording I have ever been part of. Not drum wise, but when one problem after another showed up along the two weeks we were there the mood inbetween some of the members got a little bit twisted and schizophrenic. I was repulsed by the fact that some memebers couldn't do their parts good enough, I mean we're a band that record an album every second or third year or something, which means that we should definitely be prepared when it is time to go into the studio. If I could do the drum parts in time, then I ask nothing but the same from the other guys. It's just simple and basic fact, no more no less. You could also put it this way, we have DEATHGASM RDS spending loads of cash on the recording and that also make me personally feel more responsible that we have to deliver the best album we could, you know. I bet that there are some people that think it's not good to talk about these things in interviews, that we should keep the problems within the band, well this band doesn't have anything to hide so I don't mind talking about it. If you can't stand the heat in the line of fire, step aside or you'll end up disabled.

2.What were your expectations going into the creative process for the new album?
PERRA: They have never been higher, that's for sure. We were working really hard the last two months prior the recording, we wrote two of the songs during the last six weeks or something. We also did a little bit of pre-production even this time around, for five or six songs. It's always good to do something like that, so you get a chance of hearing if there's anything that should be changed in the musical arrangements or in the lyrics. The material on the new album has alot of hooks and the songs are full of pure insanity. So as a musician you have to put a lot of time, energy and effort to make it all sounds as brutal and variated as it is.

3.Obviously you guys lost Daniel right before you went into the studio to record.Was he involved in the writing process at all.What was his reason for quitting the band.I know that you had multiple guest vocalists replace him.Anyone worth mentioning?
PERRA: Daniel left NOMINON due to the fact that he got a chance to join an educational class in film making. He has always been interested to make movies and working with manuscripts, so I don't blame him for taking the chance when it turned up. We're still good friends and we will continue to work with each other in one way or another. It looks as he will do our next promotional video for example, so I'm sure that we will remain in close contact either way. We had three vocalist on the album, they are; Erik Sahlström from the Grindcore freaks GENERAL SURGERY among others who did an amazing job in the studio. His best vocal performance can be found on the coming album for sure. Our co-producer Tore Stjerna did the vocals for the awesome track "Undead Beast". Then we had the original INSISON singer Johan "Barsk" Thornberg helping us out for the last track "Wrath Of Shiva". They all did their best, and we will always be grateful to these fellows.

4.How is the search coming to find a replacement.
PERRA: It's still going on. We have had a few interested singers, but so far we haven't had any auditions so to speak. We do however have a few in mind that we will try out, so we will let you guys know about it later on when it'll be official.

5.The band has had alot of people come and go since you formed in 1993.You yourself are not an original member.Has this slowed the bands rise to dominence or has it not had a profound influence at all?
PERRA: I don't really think about that at all, honestly. If people doesn't want to continue being part of NOMINON it's their problem you know. You're right, I'm not an original member, since NOMINON formed as a duo back in 1993 and I joined 2001. But we have discussed this a bit every now and then myself and original member Juha Sulasalmi. I've been in the band for 8 years now and it feels like I want to continue till I die, so whatever happens down the road is something that we have to deal with, either it means loss of members or other issues of damnation. I have to say that it feels like I am more or less an original member. It might have something to with that I previously played with Juha also in DION FORTUNE in the early 90'ies, and he sent me the early NOMINON demos when they came out. So we have been friends for almost twenty years. I know what to expect from him and he know what to expect from me. It feels like the two of us have started NOMINON over and over again for a couple of times now already, so as I said, whatever problems that comes in our way we have to deal with, so we can continue to write the evil muzak.

6.The new album seems at least from what i hear sharper then TERRA NECROSIS which was a fantastic record.What inspires you to create such awesome satanic death metal?
PERRA: Thanks Greg! I'd say you are right man. The new material are sharper in more ways than one. It's also more variation in it, and overall it's a bit faster and more intense than our previous work. A good thing is that when you have heard the album once, it's 40 minutes long, you definitely want to listen to it again and again. When it comes to the insipiration and such, I can only speak for myself. I'd say that a lot of evil spirits and paranoid thoughts helped me when creating some drum patterns and parts for this new album. It's very personal stuff. I like to push the limits and make the music more interesting, more deadly and infectious.

7.You guys made it over to the us last year finally.How was the tour overall.Was the response what you had hoped it was?
PERRA: That tour was nothing but great! It was awesome to finally make it there. The response was Killer, better than we could ever imagine. I mean it was our first time over there, so we didn't knew what to expect?! It was amazing to see all the freaks coming down to the shows, and hanging out with our friends in QUINTA ESSENTIA, INCANTATION, Billy Milano, Steveggs!, Duane Timlin, CEMETERY URN, Ken Escobedo, Sean Ferguson and so on. Of course it was a lot of travelling all over the place, but it was all worth it. 

8.You guys decided to go with DEATHGASM RECORDS again for the release of the new cd.What is it about working with evan that influenced this decision?
PERRA: First of all, we feel that we are on the same level as Evan. We also appreciate to work with people that are fans of the band, and not only for the business side of things. We first worked with Evan and DEATHGASM RDS on the 2005 album "Recremation" (released in USA summer 2006) and since then we have continued to work and conquer together. They are the only label that has been able to put out all the NOMINON full lenght albums in USA, including this new one and the re-release of the debut album "Diabolical Bloodshed" that they did last year. We look forward to continue to work with DEATHGASM RDS for a long time to come.

9.What are Nominons plans for 2010?Any chance of a return trip to us soil?
PERRA: First of all to release the new album in Feb/March 2010. We also plan to do a smaller European tour, mostly in the Northern parts during the springtime. Of course it would be brilliant to return to the USA. We have discussed the possibillites to do so during the summer and as soon as we know something about it we will let you all know about it. This time around we hope to cover Florida, Texas and California as well. Maybe even Mexico if possible. We also plan to release a DVD including a road movie from last years USA tour, it's an hour long documentary full of crap and music as well as some split 7" EP's with some other cool bands. Be sure to check our website for further info later on.

10.I hear a very distinct old school vibe in your music,with slight modern touches.Are you all strictly into the old school extreme metal,any newer bands that really excite you at all?
PERRA: I listen to a lot of music, not only pure Metal, even though that is the genre that I do however appreciate the most. My personal fave bands at the moment includes MORBID ANGEL, ROOT, SHARIMOOTH, MOTÖRHEAD, ARCKANUM, IRON MAIDEN, DISIPLIN, SATYRICON and a few more. I'm of course a huge fan of old school Metal of all kinds as well, especially the early MALEVOLENT CREATION, IMMOLATION, NOCTURNUS, R.A.V.A.G.E and many others. It's not really that many "new" bands that attract me, but it doesn't matter as I do continue to find old bands that are shocking me every now and then. 

11.When did you join the band?Would you say that nominon is a group effort when it comes to writing the material or is there an alpha male among you??
PERRA: I joined NOMINON in 2001 after the departure of the previous drummer who left to concentrate on his other band LEGION as well as MARDUK. Nowadays it's usually Juha and Christian who writes the riffs and then we arrange everything together at our rehearsal spot. I actually ended up making two riffs or so on this new album just by mumbling the riffs to the other guys. It was kinda sick, since I can't play guitar, I just sounded like the riff and tried to explain how I wanted it to be played and it ended up awesome. That's the thing with working with people that do understand what the fuck its all about. Sometimes Juha also find a riff just by playing to the drum rhythms that I make. I'd say it is definitley interested to write material in NOMINON, we don't really stick to any specific style in the writing process, as long as it ends up brutal and awesome.

12.I know you also play is a shitload of bands.Where do you find the time to do all of these bands.Anything new coming soon from any of these other bands you play with?
PERRA: The most recent release I played on were BERGRAVEN's third album "Till Makabert Väsen" (HydraHead Prod). It's more ambient and not that much Metal as NOMINON, but definitely worth checking out if you are of an open mind nature. I am also a member of IN AETERNUM, but we are taking it easy at the moment, don't really know when we will pick up and record any new material?! Guess that time will tell about that. I've been contacted by the Black Metal band HERESI, to record the drums for their third album that is set to be recorded next summer. I hope that will happen, it would be fucking great. I'm also a member of the Doom/Death constellation NEX, we do plan to record our second album hopefully during 2010, it all depends since we are all extremely busy. I like to keep myself busy playing drums and being involved in musical activites, it makes me grow as a musician and as a human being.

13.I know from personel expierience that metal and booze fuel your very existence.Is there anything else in life important to you??
PERRA: To be honest, not really. I don't have any girl friend at the moment, so right now all I do is to focus on my playing as well as working a little bit to get cash for the rent every month. From time to time I work out, I play drums, I like to cook since I like good food. Guess I'm pretty much a loner, a lonely wolf who doesn't always appreciate a normal life. And I'm not much of an small talker either, I don't enjoy having conversations that doesn't really lead anywhere.

14.Finally,STEVEGGS..overgrown kid,or a extreme music legend??
PERRA: To me he is a pure fucking gigantic undergound legend. We used to tape-trade back in the very early 90'ies. It's so fucken cool that I have had the chance to meet him a couple of times these last years, he is so damn nice. If it wasn't for him I wouldn't have as many killer live recordings of all the old heroes like UNLEASHED, MACABRE, POSSESSED, GRAVE and so on. I do however consider Steveggs as one of the most intelligent dudes out there, period.

15.Thanks Perra for your time.Hope to see you again soon.Any final remarks comments?
PERRA: Well thank you Greg for all the support of NOMINON. The new MCD "OMEN" will be out within the next couple of weeks on DEATHGASM RDS, and then the new album in Feb/March next year. For further information, music samplers and Merchandise, check www.nominon.com and www.myspace.com/nominon
Hope to see you too next year when we plan to make a remarkable return to The States. Don't be afraid of the dark...Embrace it and become one with it. nataS liaH!

Interview By:B.S.O.G

No comments:

Post a Comment