Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Bloody Sign "Chaos Echoes" Review



For someone like myself who has been pretty much removed from the death metal scene since '95 with the exception of a few "modern" bands who get it right. I got bored with all of the blast fests and mind numbing instrument masturbation, to me death metal had lost everything "evil" about it.
So when I received this CD in the mail I wasn't sure what to expect. I had heard of these guys before as they had released their last full length through Ibex Moon, a label I have great respect for. Well it didn't take long for this album to ensnare me in its magic.

Like I said - I usually get bored with nowadays death metal and am usually switching out CD's after 2-3 tracks, but "Chaos Echoes" made a difference. This album was definitely not what I was expecting and believe me that is a good thing. From the opening salvo of "Chord Temple" this album blew me away. While this album has all of the death metal standards - pissed vocals, heavy as fuck riffs and blasting drums - there are definitely spots where this band reaches regions where only few death metal bands go.

There are times when they remind me of newer Deathspell Omega. They seem to mix the orthodox black metal into their sound very well, most evident in the track "The Call" which, for me, was the standout track on this CD, I probably went back and listened to this a few times before continuing on with the rest of the it. These guys are definitely different from most of the death metal crowd out there these days, so maybe most won't get it. Fuck them because this album is so fucking good that I can see this in heavy rotation for a while!!!

Maybe it's the slight Incantation vibe I get from time to time (drummer Ilmar also played drums for Incantation's Clash of the Demigods European tour in 2004 - A. Nekro), or maybe it's the fact that these guys mix it up with a myriad of influences and actually sound refreshing to the ears of the listener. The packaging and booklet are all well above standards and made by Blood Harvest - why should you expect anything less?

Get this and worship!!!!!
Out now in Europe on Blood Harvest!!!!!!!!

9/10


Review By: B.S.O.G

No comments:

Post a Comment