Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Interview with Robert Cardenas

Photobucket

Interview By: Mike Abominator

My friend Bobby here has been a fixture here in the Southern California Heavy Metal scene for almost 25 years. I decided to track him down for a talk. He has actually been in some of my favorite local bands. And now plays Bass in the legendary Agent Steel.

Hails to you Bobby. Good to get a talk with you. Let's start with your early memories of getting into heavy metal. Was it friends or family that got you into it, or did you discover it on your own? Tell me what were your favorite bands in those early days?

- My brother Woody was also a big influence in what I was listening to. At the age of 10, I was introduced to KISS ALIVE 2. I do remembering I was a big Gene Simmons fan and didn’t even know he was playing a bass. Metal for me in 1981 came in the form of Iron Maiden. I did listen to a lot of Black Sabbath before that but “The Number Of The Beast” was the one that made Metal for me. It was also the first concert as a kid in 1982, which was the Summer Strut @ Anaheim Stadium, Scorpions, Iron Maiden, Loverboy and Foreigner. As for Favorites in the early 80’s, I would say Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Ozzy, Rush. I don’t think much has changed from then and now. Those bands are still kicking ass and still my Favorites!!

Let's now talk about what made you pick up the Bass. Or was it another instrument that you started with?

- Playing bass also was my brother Woody’s idea. He knew a friend that taught bass and that’s when my mother brought my first bass, a Hondo Destroyer (Red). I was 16. That was one of the best things my mom ever got me, ever! I have to say that getting that bass saved my life and kept me out of a lot of fucked up shit as a kid. Music was the only thing I ever wanted to do, then and even now.

So you started off playing music with Immortal (Los Angeles) and then went on to Nocturnal Fear. There were some crazy backyard gigs back then. And 2 legendary venues Fenders Ballroom and The Country Club were slowly having bigger shows and major metal tours coming through. Tell me about those early days for you.

- No, Actually I knew the guys from Nocturnal Fear from Jr. High School and Joined in late 1988 after they lost their bassist Ceaser (Nokturne). It was with Marcelino Castro (Ex-Coffin Texts/Demolition), Adolph and Memo Mora (Ex-Infamy). After that dis-banded in 1990 I joined Entety from 1990 to 1994. Immortal was just a project I was helping my good friend Miguel with. Never played Fenders but heard a lot about it. I did play a couple of shows at the Country Club in Reseda, CA. 1 was with Morbid Angel (Alters Of Madness tour) and 1 that Autopsy was supposed to play but pulled out.

Photobucket

Then came the legendary Entety. How did this crazy band get formed? Do you think it could have really taken off? I think Entety was even sicker and heavier than like likes of Exhumed, Impaled and other Carcass inspired Gore/Death/Grind bands.

- Well, the first time I saw Entety was in 1989 in a back yard with my guitarist from Nocturnal Fear Adolph. One of the sickest pits I had ever seen. I was a 4-piece band. Jack was doing vocals. Never heard anything like his vocals. It sounded inhuman. Yea, I did think it was gonna take off but I think that we just didn’t had what it took to get to that level. We eventually broke up in 94 and that lead to the beginnings of Coffin Texts and Infamy.

Photobucket

Next came one of my favorites, Engrave! Much more old school and different than Entety, yet just as deadly in the metal way. How were those gigs and recordings? When is a reunion of Engrave going to happen?

- Engrave was Jagger from Infamy’s prior band called Brainstorm. Jagger left the band 94 about the same time Demolition and Entety broke up that’s when I ended up at Adrian’s house and we just clicked. That band had many opportunities to get to the next level but it never happened. Again, just didn’t have what it takes. Not saying the musicians weren’t up to par; it was more on a personal level that the band could not function. Great band and I do miss playing those songs and Mario (RIP) very much. As for a reunion, Not sure, sometimes things are meant to stay in the past. I tried reviving Entety and ended up with nothing, so I realize now that it’s better to just leave it behind and move forward as a musician.

Photobucket

Another favorite of mine is the next band, Coffin Texts. How did this monster come about? Nuclear Winter records released "Gods Of Creation, Death, And Afterlife" which is killer. And Blood Harvest is doing the next album "Tomb Of Infinite Ritual" still right? What else can we expect from Coffin Texts in 2010?

- Coffin Texts was born late 1994 after Entety and recorded the “Gods of Creation, death and Afterlife in 1995 with Jim Barnes (produced Mindrot and Morgion) on 2 inch reel. All Analog which just it sound so much fatter. Nuclear Winter release it in ’08 and is actually doing really good. It was also release in 2000 by Dwell Records (U.S) on Digi-pack and then again in 2005 by Brutalized records (Columbia) which got it distributed in Europe. As for “Tomb of Infinite Ritual”, we are still working on getting it out hopefully by mid-2010. This album has been a total nightmare due to the fact that we were supposed to have had this out 5 years ago and lost our drummer which pushed us back and then we ran into recording it with a tweeker that lost all our files 2 times and then recorded it a 3rd time all fucked up. Which pushed us back again and we are in 2010. People say it’s cursed but I’m gonna prove them wrong by have it out this year. It will see the light ov day.

You also do Saprophagous, another death/grind band here in L.A. Tell me about this band and what are you guys up to?a European tour back in 2003 correct?

- Saprophagous are great friends ov mine that I have known since 2004. It totally BRUTAL FUCKEN GRIND! I play in this band cause I’m a fan and the bassist that they had before ripped them off so I took over to help get to the next level. We did some shows up north with Truculence which was a blast and Phoenix with Bulldog Productions and that also was a good trip. Were working on the second release after “Dimensions of Diverse Brutality” Release from 2009 which will be called “Anatomy”. Not sure what label it will be out on. Europe in 2003 was with Diabolic.

I also remember you playing with Florida maniacs Diabolic on a European tour back in 2003 correct? And a few years ago, you had mentioned moving to England to play in a band with members of Destroyer 666. What came about with that?

- Yea, the Diabolic tour was killer. We did something like 23 shows all over Europe with Behemoth and Destroyer 666. One of the best times I had ever had in my life. Something I will never forget. Great People. As for moving to U.K, It just didn’t happen. I think that it was meant for me to stay and then get offer to play in Agent Steel.

Photobucket

Fuck you are a busy guy! haha. And you are also jamming with the legendary Agent Steel now! How did this come about? How is it playing those classic songs from "Skeptics Apocalypse" and "Unstoppable Force"?

- Gotta keep on my toes. Been playing to long not to keep up the momentum. It started with working at World War 3 records with Juan Garcia from 2001 to 2006. He a very good friend and in 2007 he came to my house when I was living in Silverlake near Hollywood and offer me the Anienigma European tour for 2007 2 months prior to the tour. By the time we got to Amsterdam I was a member of Agent Steel. Playing all the classics are incredible BUT I do have to say that the later A.S material is very good. I’m a true fan of all the release this band has offer the metal world. Playing in this band made all the persistence worth the wait.

When you are not playing in 5,000 bands what do you do for fun? You are a metal father now as well! Does your son love metal too?

- I’m a graphic artist by trade and I also do silk screening with a good friend. Yea, Had my boy when I was 19. Robert Aaron Cardenas. He is a metal fan but also love different types of music. He’s likes playing piano and loves movie soundtracks. Best thing that ever happened to me was to have my son.
Photobucket

Were my vocals on the "Hell Awaits" cover at the D-Club show with your Japanese friends, Emilio and Yourself the worst bad drunk Slayer vocals ever?

- not sure. Couldn’t hear you (LOL)

Photobucket

You have robbed a bank, and the cops have the house surrounded. There is a secret exit that can get you out and on a plane to the Cayman Islands in no time. BUT, You can only fit 10 albums in your suitcase, what 10 albums would you choose?

King Crimson/Live in Argentina
– Morbid Angel/Alters of Madness
– Metallica/Master of Puppets
– Judas Priest/Screaming For Vengeance
– Iron Maiden/Number of the Beast
– Slayer/Hell Awaits
– Death/The Sound of Perseverance
– Black Sabbath/Born Again
– Bolt Thrower/Realms of Chaos
Agent Steel/Omega Conspiracy
You have traveled all over the place. What are some of the best metal shows that you have ever seen?
- Athens, Greece with Agent Steel 2007
- Paris, France with Diabolic 2003
- Milwaukee Metal fest with Coffin Texts 2000
- Bogot·, Columbia @ Rock al Parque festival with Agent Steel 2007
- Ohio Deathfest with Coffin Texts 2000
- Monterey Mexico with Entety 1993
Photobucket

What ever happened to that KILLER Rickenbacker, black with green alien vein looking design Bass that you had back in the day? Do you still play Ricks? You have also played BC Rich Basses. What is your favorite brand?

- I use it in Agent Steel for the songs tuned to a drop c. I’m endorsed by Fernandez guitars for Agent Steel and Mammoth Guitars for Coffin Texts. So I use a Black Fernandez Tremor bass with a Kahler bass tremolo for normal tuning songs and the Rickenbaker for the drop C with Agent Steel. For Coffin Texts I use a Black Mammoth custom made V with a Kahler bass tremolo. I use a BC Rich Warlock for Saprophagous.
OK man, I want to thank you for your time. I will see you soon. Any last words to everyone out there?

I want to thank you Abominator Mike for the interview into my life as a musician and to all the fans of all the bands that I have been in. Cheers from Bong Beach, California
-Robert “Bobby” Cardenas
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment