Tuesday, March 23, 2010

INSOMNIUM "Across The Dark" - Review.



Photobucket

Is that a skinny Robert Smith on the cover? Oh shit, I think I know what we are in for. Slow/Melodic Death Metal. Yeah, I don't know, it kind of doesn't make sense to me. But bands have been "doing it" for years now. From what I remember, and it ain't much, this style started with Amorphis "Tales From The 1000 Lakes". Insomnium from Finland is one of those bands. This album starts off with a vinyl record a bit scratched up playing a violin. Then comes in with MELODIC DEATH METAL. Let's call it S.lower P.aced H.eavy M.elodic M.etal W.ith G.rowling V.ocals. This song "Equivalence" is not bad at all. "Down with the Sun" comes next with some mellow music intro and whispering vocals that remind me of a Finnish Tea party where you can't tell the dudes from the chicks. Then the S.P.H.M.M.W.G.V. comes in. Very epic and emotional. "Where the Last Wave Broke" is next with the S.P.H.M.M.W.G.V. Very slow and epic then picks up at the end."The Harrowing Years" is next. This song picks up the pace and then has some clean vocals that interplay with the growling in the middle. The keyboards are not bad on here but do get a little overpowering. For the most part, they are used effectively. "Against the Stream" is next, more of the same whispering vocals with the growling. Then the clean vocals come in. How cute. This Finnish Tea party seems like it's happening now. "Lay of the Autumn", eww how cool, a speed part! Total thrash riff that goes for that Gothenburg sound. Quite a surprise, until it goes in the S.P.H.M.M.W.G.V. chorus. "Into the Woods" has a folk metal vibe that goes into more of the same as before. "Weighed Down With Sorrow" starts off fast and has that same Gothenburg melody that leads into the talking part, then S.P.H.M.M.W.G.V. Not a bad album. I know some of these bands are popular here in the U.S. and they are HUGE in Europe. Not my thing but if you like melody and epic-ness, then check these Finns out. Would someone please play me some Repulsion! I need to get the tea party out of my head!

Review By:Mike Abomiantor    5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment