Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Interview with Annick Geroux.



Photobucket


Annick, or "SatAnnick" as she is known, is a metal maniac from Montreal, Canada. She started with the Morbid Tales Fanzine, and has moved on to many other things, including the soon to be classic book "Hell Bent For Cooking" out now on Bazillion Points books. I have been aware of her part in metal for a few years now, and started talking with a a couple of years ago. She is a very cool person and a total heavy metal maniac! I decided to have a talk with her and see what has been going on with her and what lies ahead for this MORBID CHEF!

Interview By:Mike Abominator

1. Well hello there Annick! How are things up in the great white north?

Annick:Things are great! Shows are a bit rarer these days, as the cold keeps people locked in their homes – but it will change in the spring. Just saw a really killer new band last Friday called VIOLENTADA – they sound like ancient Sepultura mixed with Slayer and Possessed. Yum!

Photobucket



2. Let's start with the killer Morbid Tales Fanzine. What got you started with the idea of taking your love for metal to the next step, and actually doing a fanzine? Were there any influences that you had? Or maybe inspiration from other fanzines or books?

Annick:I don’t really know what hit me back in 2004, but I just thought it would be really cool to have some sort of small publication that would propagate good metal and let people know of upcoming events in our area. I really thought it was going to be local only – and be sold in record shops and shows. The trigger to actually do it was when I went to a punk show and bought a copy of my friend Jo’s hardcore/crust punk zine “Born 20 Years Too Late”. It was raw, passionate and totally cut’n’paste. We talked about doing a metal one together, and voilà! Morbid Tales was born. Jo’s ‘zine was the only influence I had at the time, as I had never seen a metal fanzine before. Glad you liked it!!

Photobucket



3. You are also the kick ass DJ in Montreal of the local heavy metal night Katacombes. Tell me about this gathering and what type of absolute heavy metal mayhem goes on in that unholy awesome sounding place?

Annick:I’ve been the Katacombes’ metal DJ for about three years now? I don’t know anymore, time goes by so fast! Janick – one of the owners, had asked me to be their DJ because she knew I had a good record collection. The metal night goes on every Wednesdays from 9PM to 3AM, and only true maniacs show up. Since the beginning, I never prostituted myself to play commercial shit – therefore the night is not for everyone. I play everything from proto metal, N.W.O.B.H.M., traditional metal, speed/thrash metal, doom metal, black metal, black/death, old school death to doom/death, etc. I choose a very personal approach and try to talk to as many “clients” as possible to get to know their tastes and eventually make them discover new bands that I find good. We get all sorts of people – younger and passionate headbangers, older bangers that want to get drunk and remember their young years, guys that want to find metal girls, regulars that need their metal dose, punks that requests CELTIC FROST, DESTRUCTION and MIDNIGHT… and even metal couples! A lot of people also come for the good beer and creepy-looking place. The nights were pretty wild as the level of alcohol gets in our veins, hehehe…

Photobucket



4. You are also into graphic design. Is this what you do for work and also do a bit in your spare time? What else are you up to usually besides the zine and cooking up awesome meals?

Annick:Yeah! I’m a professional graphic designer, and work in a private clinic in Montreal. I also design record sleeves from time to time… right now, I am working on old Montreal death/thrashers DAMNATION’s re-release of their two demos on vinyl. I am doing everything from A-Z: interview, research, layout, scanning old photos, etc… it will be a great release! I also practice regularly with my band CAUCHEMAR and we should be going in the studio in February to record a 5-song EP. Other than that, I go to many concerts and am working on a new project that should see the light in a few months – if everything goes as well as planned. I’m always busy as you can see!

Photobucket



5. Now we must discuss the book! I was very proud of you when I saw the ad for it. What started as a continuation of recipes at the back of Morbid Tales #6, turned into a full fledged book in worldwide release! How did you get in contact with Bazillion Points Books? And tell me how great it was to talk with all these legendary metal heads and get food tips from them?

Annick:Thanks man, glad you were as excited as me!! Haha. Ian from Bazillion Points Books actually contacted me himself after ordering a copy of MT#6. He really enjoyed the cooking segment and asked me if I wanted to release a real, full-color cookbook! I accepted, and this is what came out of it! It was really killer to get in touch with my favourite bands, and they all really enjoyed the experience.

Photobucket


6. Canada has some of the best and total legendary heavy metal bands of all time! Tell me about some of the best lives shows that you have seen and also still get to see on a regular basis. I know it's hard but can you tell me your Top 10 Canadian Heavy Metal bands of all time?

Annick:The best shows that I ever saw were SABBAT/GOAT HORN in 2005, SACRIFICE in 2006, MIDNIGHT in 2006, PAGAN ALTAR/WARNING (England) in 2007, PENTAGRAM/DEVIL’S BLOOD (New York) in 2009, SAINT VITUS (Worchester) in 2009… etc. I feel very lucky to have seen so many great shows!! My top 10 Canadian metal bands are as follow (no particular order):

1. Razor
2. Voïvod
3. Sacrifice
4. Slaughter
5. Exciter
6. Piledriver
7. Megiddo
8. Anvil
9. Blasphemy
10. Sacred Blade

Photobucket



7. OK, you are cooking the last meal of all time before the world ends. One more night on earth! You can invite 10 people and you can cook whatever you want. Who would you invite over to the party and what would you serve for the courses? And what booze would you all get fucked up to after the meal?

Annick:Haha, damn, good question – but your interview is getting harder and harder! I would invite my best friends and people I have a strong bond with. The meal should last a few hours and therefore be in small quantity but with many courses. It would also be a trip around the world, to celebrate its incredible culinary diversity! I would start the meal with a Pisco Sour cocktail, with a small raw beef Vietnamese soup (pho), and then follow with a few fresh avocado maki sushis. After this, something warm and crunchy would tag along – like Onion Bhajis dipped in mint-yogurt sauce, paired with Aloo Chana Chaat (potato and chickpea curry). Next comes a shooter of calvados, which should open the stomach, then I would serve pan roasted Foie Gras with onion confit on a perfectly baked slice of bread. Afterwards are the main meals, which would be Czech-style Paprika Goulash with Czech beer (Kozel preferred) and bread dumplings, then a melting piece of Venison smothered in bitter dark chocolate pepper sauce. A plate of mixed, imported French cheeses would follow, with some home-made dried sausages and a glass of Bordeaux wine. The meal would finish with a flambéed maple-syrup crème brûlée with a Sortilège (maple-syrup whisky) shot. Sounds like strange pairings, I know, but these are all my favourite foods. Haha! The rest of the evening would be soaked in eastern European beer. Hell yes! Bring on the end of the world!

Photobucket



8. Since you are in touch with the Canadian scene, what are some newer and up and coming bands from Canada that you love and can recomend to the worldwide masses?

Annick:Yeah! VIOLENTADA is really killer – they are a young bunch of Colombian bastards that immigrated to Montreal. Think old SLAYER mixed with ancient SEPULTURA and POSSESSED: http://myspace.com/violentada . GYIBAAW from Prince George (BC) is really great Black/Death Metal: http://www.myspace.com/gyibaaw .




9. Tell me about your singing duties in Cauchemar.

Annick:Well, I sing, write all the lyrics and some of the riffs. I also play bass, but can’t sing and play bass together for some reason, haha. I will therefore find a bassist for live shows. I prefer singing – it really puts me in some sort of ritual mood! My vocals are clean, and I sing in French. I guess that will turn off many people - but I don’t give a shit!



10. We have talked about traveling a bit. You have roamed the earth. Where have you been? And what are your favorite places that you have visited?

Annick:I have been only to the states, England, France and Czech Republic. It’s not that much, but traveling from Canada is very expensive, on top of having limited vacation-time at work. I am currently saving up for future trips… hehehe

Photobucket


11. Can we expect another Hellbent For Cooking book? Volume 2 maybe?

Annick:Maybe! I am not sure if it will happen, but it was a fun ride and I would do it again if I had the chance to do it.

Photobucket



12. How about the Morbid Tales Zines? Any plans for more issues?

Annick:I would love to do another one eventually, as for another Hellbent for Cooking, but that would be in about 4 years if it happens. I have many big projects lined up. As I mentioned before, I’m always keeping myself busy!

Photobucket


13. So let's get to the past and how you got into Heavy Metal. Do you remember the early days and what was about heavy metal that drew you in? And what were the first records, tapes, or cds that you got?

Annick:Yeah, of course! It all started when I received a copied-tape from a penpal living in Belgium. It was X-Japan’s first album, and I was 11 years old. I was completely hooked by this dangerous and fast music!! It took me years to find other bands that sounded like that, though! I lost touch with the girl, and was alone in my quest. The first album I ever bought was BLACK SABBATH’s We Sold Our Soul to Rock’n’Roll, and then the first SEX PISTOLS LP as well as JIMI HENDRIX EXPERIENCE’s Are you Experienced? I loved Jimi Hendrix, but eventually sold the Sex Pistols LP and then got into heavier stuff… Slayer, Metallica, Acheron, Deicide, Dissection, Bathory, Kreator, Destruction, Cathedral, Saint Vitus, etc.

Photobucket


14. OK my friend, I think that is it for now! I want to thank you first for being cool, 2nd for Morbid Tales, and 3rd for Hellbent For Cooking! Also thank you for your time! Any last words to the maniacs out there?

Annick:Haha, thanks so much Mike! I really appreciate it!!! It was really fun answering this interview, although it brought loads of drool to my mouth. Haha. To the maniacs out there: get involved with your local scene – organize shows, buy records in independent shops (if there are some left in your area), make a band, start a fanzine, copy some compilation tapes for your friends and always think for yourself. Keep the underground flame alive!!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment