Tuesday, March 23, 2010

FATALIST Interview with Neil.



Here is a talk that I had recently with Neil Burkdoll, The Guitarist/Vocalist of the mighty Fatalist. You might say "An American Band, from Fucking Southern California no less, playing Swedish Death Metal?" Well YEAH! That is the exact style that they play and they play it PERFECT! Thorgrimm/Gravehill is the original drummer and I even jammed with these boys at one point. Look out for them in 2010 in your city. You will see how the Left Hand Path and The Ever Flowing Stream actually do lead to Ventura, California!

Interview By: Mike Abominator

Photobucket

1. Hello Neil! How are things with you? Let's get this out of the way right now, is it true that I'm the most bad ass bass player you ever jammed with?(BESIDES ART! HAHAHA)
Neil - Yes Mike, you were a furious addition to the band for one day!  I'm doing good, other than dealing with a little drama at the moment because of a few line up changes within the band.  Other than that, things are going good for the band right now.

2. Does Fatalist still jam in that crazy white trash trailer up in Ventura?
Neil - No, we haven't been there in about a year and a half.  I sort of miss that shithole though.  We played at a place called MegaSound Studio's for a while until they closed down and now we are just jamming in members houses.

Photobucket
 
3. OK we are mainly here for Fatalist. The band has started to really take off. How does it feel now to see this after the hard work put in the last few years?
Neil - Well, it feels really good to be honest with you.  I personally worked my ass off on this cd.  I have put a lot of time/energy into this band over the last 3.5 years, and there were many times when i wanted to throw in the towel, but I stuck it out so that this album could see the light of day.  I'm glad that it happened and that there are some people out there who actually give a shit about what we are doing.  I do think the next album will be much better than this one though.  I hope to start recording another cd in about a year.
  
4. To be honest, Ventura is BUTT FUCK EGYPT as far as Southern California goes. How is the "scene" up there? And how hard is it to get shows going?
Neil - Well, you said it right there, didn't you?  We don't really play often out here because it is a waste of time for the most part.  We do a show every once in a while here, but it usually sucks ass.  There is no scene that I know of out here, but there are a bunch of kids into metal here, but they probably like some new school shit that has nothing to do with Fatalist.  We mostly try to play in L.A. with you guys (Gravehill).  I hope to get this new line up ready within a month or two to start playing shows again.

Photobucket

5. I think Gravehill, as well as a couple of other promoters, have tried to get you guys down to the Los Angeles area more often. How has the response been in and around L.A.?
Neil - Yeah, you guys try, but it doesn't always work out now does it?  Due to some ex-members, we turned down a few shows that we shouldn't have turned down.  I hope to be more active out your way soon though.  I couldn't tell you shit about a response to us at all.  I think people dig our shit when we play, but as you know, it's mostly just other people from bands in the audience.  Some shows are bad as fuck, some shows eat dick.  What are you going to do?  We are supposed to start flying out and playing fests this year, so hopefully we can get some good size crowds in 2010.

6. OK so "Swedish Death Metal". You guys went all out with the style, including the famed heavy metal pedals. Talk about the classic sound and inspiration that influenced you guys to play the old style that now seems to be almost trendy again?
Neil - Yeah, this whole "New Wave Of Old School Death Metal" thing that is starting right now is sort of funny.  Mike, you know that when we started this band in the spring of 2006, no one was doing this shit.  We thought that everyone would laugh at us and think we were total shit...and we were right!!!  No, but it is good to see more bands reuniting and new young bands trying to have some spirit in their music.  This new shit that the world thinks is Death Metal is total crap.  It does nothing for me and i know I'm not alone in this way of thinking.  As for the Swedish thing, I already did the Carcass thing with my old band Stump and I did the Godflesh thing with my other band Logsplitter.  The only thing left on my list was the Entombed thing.  I sort of did it with my POOR project I did in the early Spring of 2006 when I was still living in Chicago, but that was more of a Nasum type thing.  When I moved out to California, I hooked up with Wes and we decided to give the Swedish thing a try.  We wanted to use the HM-2 pedal because it is the most intense guitar sound there is!!!  You can't fuck with that sound live, it rips your face off.  In late 1990, I got Left Hand Path and it changed my life.  There was something in Entombed's music that wasn't in Obituary, Death, Sepultura, and the other bands i was listening to at the time.  Hopefully I can come close to that same feeling with Fatalist for some kids out there.

Photobucket
   
7. How did the record deal with Ibex Moon Records come about? And how has it been working with Mr John?
Neil - It has been great.  John and I have worked pretty well together.  We talk at least once a week either on the phone or email, so there has been no problem.  Back when Fatalist released the "Loss" demo in late 2007, i contacted John and asked him if he would give our songs a listen on Myspace.  I didn't know if he would give us the time of day, but a few days later he contacted me and said that he was interested in working with us.  The crazy thing is, Ibex Moon was the only label that Wes and I talked about getting on.  I had bought the last Nominon cd and i saw that Ibex put it out.  I called Wes and told him this was the label for us and he agreed.  We wanted a respected label that was big enough for us, but not too big that we would get lost.  Within two months of talking to John ,I signed to the label and the rest is history.

8. OK let's go back to your early days as a kid. Do you remember the first few records, tapes or cds that you bought in your early days of heavy metal worship?
Neil - Well, my first "Metal" tape was Dokken "Back for the Attack" and I still love that shit.  George Lynch is fucking God.  But by the time I was in 5th grade, I got into Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Slayer, Flotsam and jetsam, Laaz Rocket, and then that led to harder stuff like Kreator, Sodom, Coronor, Possessed.  Than in 7th grade, about 2 weeks before Leprosy came out, I got Scream Bloody Gore by Death and that was it.  The rest of those bands sort of got forgotten.  The next 3 years were the best in Metal in my opinion.  Obituary, Pestilence, Sepultura, Deicide, Autopsy, Napalm Death, Bolt thrower, Entombed, Carcass, Asphyx, Unleashed, Grave, Gorguts, Godflesh, etc.  You can name 100 bands that just ruled my life at the time.  I do feel very lucky that i got to hear that shit at the time.  These poor kids today get to hear all this new Hot Topic bullshit...it makes me sort of sad.

Photobucket
 
9. What are your top 10 Swedish Death Metal albums of all time?
Neil - I'm sure I can go and list more obscure things to give me street cred, but this is my actual list.  I could have listed a lot more bands, but fuck it.
1. Entombed-Left Hand Path
2. Dismember-Like An Ever Flowing Stream
3. Unleashed-Shadows in the Deep
4. Carnage-Dark Recollections
5. Grave-Into the Grave
6. Evocation-Evocation
7. Entombed-Clandestine
8. Unleashed-Where No Life Dwells
9. Nasum-Human 2.0
10. Edge of Sanity-Unorthodox

10. Let's move over to your other projects. How did Morthona / Snuffleupagus come about?
Neil - Morthona/Snuffleupagus was my first actual Death Metal band back in 1994-1997.  I had tried to start some Death Metal bands as far back as 1990, but i was 13 and i couldn't find anyone else to play with me.  We started as Snuffleupagus and released 2 demo tapes.  We then changed our name to Morthona for the 3rd demo tape because it was more serious and we didn't want a joke name anymore.  The other 3 band members have been in and out bands with me until i moved from Chicago in 2006.  We are all still good friends.  Some members went on to play in Stump, Logsplitter, Dirty Dead, Whimsical, POOR, with me over the years.  Our first demo was recorded when we were seniors in High School and then one followed each year after that.  I still see our demo tapes listed online sometimes on "Underground" lists for tape trading.

Photobucket
  
11. You also are involved in 3 other bands: Dirty Dead, Logsplitter and Stump. How the fuck do you find the time for this? And what styles are these bands and how so they differ from Fatalist?
Neil - Well, Logsplitter and Stump haven't been around since I moved to California, but Dirty Dead is still around. Dirty Dead is fast ass shit Horror Punk and we are recording our 2nd cd right now.  Logsplitter recorded one album and it was sort of like Godflesh and early Isis.  Stump recorded 2 albums, and it was Gore Grind along the lines of early Carcass and the German band Blood.  They all differ from Fatalist quite a bit actually.  You probably wouldn't be able to tell that the same guy wrote all the music from band to band.

12. On a personal note, what books and movies have you been into lately? I'm also a book and movie FREAK!
Neil - Don't laugh at my picks Mike, I'm not as metal as you 24/7.
Movies-I mostly watch shitty comedies like The Hangover and I Love You, Man and shitty Zombie movies.  Sometimes fate combines the two like Shaun of the Dead and Zombieland, and my wife has to go see that shit at the theater with me.  I used to try and watch all kinds of low budget Horror Movies, but as I get older, I don't have time for that shit anymore.  Although, Let The Right One In was pretty good.  The American remake will suck dick I'm sure.
Books-Mostly World War 2 books by Stephen Ambrose, Zombie books by Z A Recht, Max Brooks, and J L Bourne.  I also read all the Star Wars books because I am a fucking nerd, so fucking kill me.

13. What are some of the best live shows that you have ever seen? Best live bands?
Neil -
Best live shows were Cannibal Corpse/Gorguts in 1992, Slowdive in 1993, Godflesh in 1994, Lycia in 1995, Incantation/Enslaved in 1995, Cannibal Corpse/Grave in 1994, The Orb/Orbital/Spacetime Continuum all in 1996.
Best live bands were/are Pelican, Skinny Puppy, Slowdive, Godflesh, My Bloody Valentine.

Photobucket

14. So what are the plans for Fatalist as far as touring in 2010? Any plans to play Europe or abroad?
Neil - Yeah, we are probably going to Europe this year.  That is the plan anyways.  We are hoping to start playing shows more often because 2009 was a dead year for Fatalist.  I played more shows with Dirty Dead in 2009 and half the band lives on the other side of the country.  We will be doing some Metal Fests in America as well.

15. How do you feel about the reviews and over all response to "The Depths Of Inhumanity"?
Neil - I think the response has been pretty good so far.  I have read a lot of reviews and no one has said that we totally suck.  I mean, we have got a few 6/10's but mostly I see 7-9 out of 10.  I'm sure some people think we are shit, but who gives a shit.  Even I don't think we are the greatest.  We are just a band that does what we do...no big deal.  I do think we are getting a name for ourselves and I hope to continue making records and playing shows with Gravehill for a few more years.

16. OK Neil, that should do it. Any last words to your fans and supporters out there? Thanks for the time man!
Neil - Yeah, thanks Mike for the interview and buy our album "The Depths of Inhumanity" from Ibex Moon Records.  Support real Metal!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment